Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stone Crab rules?
astewart
post Jul 10 2002, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Are there any rules or laws in Ga for taking of Stone Crab Claws?

Not catching any Blue Crabs in my traps, just Stone Crabs. I've been taking the largest claw but don't see any size limits listed anywhere in the rule book for Georgia.

The SC Saltwater Regulations appear to be much clearer and include the offshore species with sizes in more detail than GA does.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robert 31320
post Jul 10 2002, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Let's go Fishing!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 34

I called the DNR office in Keller (Richmond Hill) to find out the skinny on this. The lady I spoke to said that you are allowed to take one claw and release the crab. She was unaware of a size limit for that one claw.

--------------------
Sea Hunt Escape 186
115 YAMAHA 4-Stroke

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

+Quote Post
astewart
post Jul 10 2002, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks Robert, guess I could have done that. Meant to ask when I got checked coming in last Friday but forgot to.

Planning on going this Friday and sticking in the Medway river to try and figure the flounder and trout out. Tide should be high 11 am.

Going to try some smaller hooks and mud minnows this trip.

Thanks again.....

+Quote Post
Guest_Speck-u-later_*
post Jul 10 2002, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Guests

Hey FisherBro,

The tides are not good this friday. The water will be a little muddy. Real muddy if we have much wind. Might look like yoo-hoo. Flounder and specks don't bite good on these big tides. Stingrays and heardheads will be tearin it up though.

Tuesday and wednesday of next week are the next decent fishable tides for flounder.

The end of the month and first of August is good.

Go to www.harbortides.com this site has the best tide prediction charts. They have predictions for different areas within each estuary system.
Real good info.

Look for days with both high tides less than about 7.3'.
The lower the better for clear water.

Peace

Speck-u-later

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post Jul 10 2002, 10:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

You know, I don't thing there actually is a rule on the stone crabs in GA. I have never seen one and will check my old regs. but I think she may have jsut been repeating what everyone thinks. Last I heard, even in FL there is actually no rule on taking only 1 claw. They do have a size rule and if both claws are large enough you can take them both, but most often they are not both large. Just watch those claws, as bad as blue crabs feel when they get you they have no strengthe compared to a large stone crab.

The crabbing has been bad for a few years. it is most likely a combination of the years of drought and the a disease getting them. Arlie was finding them in numbers WAY upriver though before the rain. Mabey this rain will move them back down river. This time of the year I find the crabs well up in the smaller creeks. Later in the summer you will begin to see the females swimming by the boat on the way out to the ocean to spawn and the males will move to a little larger creeks. Then come fall you need to move the pots out to the deeper creeks and rivers. At least that is what I have found. Best bet is to follow the commercial guys as they move out.

--------------------
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http://curriecustomnets.com/

+Quote Post
astewart
post Jul 11 2002, 05:49 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Thanks for the info on the crabs Tim. It looks pretty bleak for the crabbers, I feel for them cause I used to do it in the Chesapeake Bay. Hard work, but anytime you can be on the water it beats anything else.

I did manage to catch one of the largest stone crabs I have ever seen last week in one of the traps I set, but that and a Spadefish were all I managed on Friday.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 09:23 AM