Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue Crabs
astewart
post May 30 2002, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Does anyone on this list eat Blue Crabs?

Where do you buy them or where do you catch them?

I am sort of fond of the little critters myself. There is not a huge calling for them here in Screven County.......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stan
post May 30 2002, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 10

When I was a kid we used to crab all the time. My mom used to bake them. MAN WERE THEY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! But I haven't had many since. There are a lot of guys crabbing the rivers and I'm shure you could throw some traps about anywhere and get them! I know a lot of folks that crab out at harris neck and do well there. Stan

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post May 30 2002, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Oh yeah biggrin.gif As far as taste goes, blue crab are my favorite! I just wish they came as large and easy to clean as crabs like snow crabs, but they still are my favorite. I will never forget my Dad and I sitting at Poor Pat's crab place on Tybee for hours one time soon after I moved here. At the time she had all you could eat blue crabs for $9.95. We later figured out that we EACH ate between 40 and 50 crabs 8O Wore our fingerprints right off. I like nothing better than catching some crabs on Sat., keeping them on ice overnight and eating them while watching the race or football game on Sun.

Back to catching them. I have done the crab basket thing off the piers or at Harris Neck but I prefer to use crab pots. Place them on the way out and as long as there is a low tide while you are fishing you should have some crabs. The best is when you fish 2 days and leave them out overnight before pulling htem. You can have up to 6 of them on your rec. fishing license. The last 2 years have been abnormal with the drought so no one has done much on the crabs. During normal years 3 pots will do for a family as long as you place them where the crabs are. Normally you start with them up the creeks quite aways in late spring and early summer and work towards the larger creeks and rivers late summer and fall. Watch where you see the commercial crabbers putting most of them. As far as placement, I always place mine in from of the small outflows along the creek bank in water that will keep the trap submerged at low tide (or you will have a bunch of nasty smelling dead crabs). Also, if they are above water other things get inside. I was on my way out and saw one of my pots half out of the water with the tide comin in. The problem was that an otter had gotten in there and was stuck in the upper chamber with the water rising. What a pain! First getting to the pot in the mud and then releasing one very angry :evil: otter. Later in the summer and fall place them in deeper water, again watch the comm. guys.

I bait mine with either left over frozen pogies or the left overs from filleting my last catch, I plan on 2 to 3 fish carcasses (depending on size) per pot and freeze them separately so I can get them apart without thawing.

I like to either boil or steam mine. While boiling does make it messier since the water is in the crabs, it lets the spices get into the meat better. By far my favorite spice mix is the red powder from Zatarins.

One thing on the crab pots, remember that people are running their boats around them. Don't use a floating rope for the float since the slack will float up and get wrapped on the props easier. Use the sinking rope to keep it out of the way. I think some states even make you weight the rope but not here in GA.

--------------------
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http://curriecustomnets.com/

+Quote Post
Guest_arlie webster_*
post May 30 2002, 11:57 AM
Post #4

Guests

Astewart: blue crabs are good ! The way I cook them is to get a pot large enough to hold the amount of crabs you have, fill the pot 2/3 full of water get it to boiling then drop the crabs in the water boil crabs until they turn red. There are 3 major ways to catch crabs. ( 1.) use a hand line with a chicken neck and a sinker ,slowley pull line in if there is a crab on the chicken neck scoop it up with a dip net. ( 2) Use a round net with a line & weight . (3 ) use a crab trap . You can buy them at at Walmart or any hardware store " near the coast ". If you have a fishing licenses you are allowed 6 crab traps .

+Quote Post
Ron G.
post May 30 2002, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 179

You can catch them in any of the creeks and rivers. You can use the hand line with crab net from a dock or boat or you are allowed up to 6 (pretty sure it is still 6) standard crab traps for the recreational angler. There is a one bushel a day limit and min size of 5" spike to spike across the shell. You can bait up the net or trap with an old reliable chicken neck or back and usually in short time have what you want. I have even used cut mullet for bait. Pretty much anything that can't fight back a crab will eat it

As for buying them, I know you can get them in Hinesville, Midway, and Savannah. I have never bought any before though. I just catch what I want. Not everyone in the house likes them. Figure that.

I know last year Tim was setting out multiple traps. He would have more info on that.

--------------------
Ron G.
Midway, Ga.

+Quote Post
astewart
post May 30 2002, 12:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The cooking part is no problem, I steam them. Just have to figure out how to catch them here in Ga. I was born and raised ont eh Chesapeake Bay where we could wade on the tidal flats and just dip net them or used a trot line baited with salted eel.

I can hold my own eating them, but 50 might be stretching it.........

Depends on how much Old Bay I can lay my hands on to steam them in.

Looks like I need to pick up some crab traps (pots) to set out each time I go out fishing.

Thanks for the info. This board is great.

+Quote Post
Allan
post May 31 2002, 09:42 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 58

We were at Yellow Bluff weekend before last. Had to go to Midway to find crabs. They are extremely pricey. $85/bushel

+Quote Post
Ron G.
post May 31 2002, 10:11 AM
Post #8

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 179

And that is exactly why I have never bought them. Plus it is more fun to catch your own.

--------------------
Ron G.
Midway, Ga.

+Quote Post
astewart
post May 31 2002, 10:48 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

That is a little high. They are 125 a bushel in Md right now at most of the crab houses.

My cousin runs one and has two restaurants, says people don't even blink an eye, just plop the cash or card down and goes off with the crabs.

Unreal man.

+Quote Post
Guest_arlie webster_*
post May 31 2002, 11:41 AM
Post #10

Guests

I have 3 crab traps set all the time and check them each day I am only catching about 6 a day yesterday 7 today 5 and I turn all the females loose. The comercial crabber has not eaven baited his traps this week. Friday he said he only caught 1/2 a box,that's why they cost so much. By the way the white shrimp are in the creeks they are 11/2 " to 2".

+Quote Post
coastman
post May 31 2002, 04:09 PM
Post #11

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 44

You must be from the mainland. Blue crabs ranks right up there with good sex.. Blue crabs stuffed in a flounder is truely heaven. Nearly all of the crabs eaten in Maryland are from Georgia, mainly McIntosh County crabs. Until the Altamaha River gets up to 12-14 ft crabbing will be difficult. Right now there is to much salt water in the estuaries. Did you know that they are catching blue crabs up the Satilia River in Woodbine. Blue Crabs at a low country boil with friends is truely a Southern Event. Coastman

--------------------
coastman

+Quote Post
coastman
post May 31 2002, 04:16 PM
Post #12

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 44

Thinking about blue crabs and sex, I forget to give you a great place to buy McIntosh County Blue Crabs and Sapelo Sound oysters in season. I have bought many a bushel of crabs and oysters from Thomas Crabs and Oysters at Eulonia the phone is 912-832-5024. You will not be disappointed in his product. Coastman

--------------------
coastman

+Quote Post
GunDog
post Jun 1 2002, 04:31 PM
Post #13

Forum Advisor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 163

Hey Coastman After you get all crippled up I believe dem blue crabs are better than sex? Maybe not good sex. Dem blue crabs in a good ol' low country boil now, with plenty of that cold yeast and barley Koolaid on hand, and friends? Good God O'Mighty! Now I'd rank that right up there with "some" of that other stuff you mentioned. Gotta go now, GDog

laugh.gif Oh, by the way- When you posting this weeks big fish pics? laugh.gif

--------------------
The gun has been called the great equalizer. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed ~ Ronald Reagan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 10:59 AM