Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beach seine for shrimp
Tim/GA
post May 22 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

I was wondering how many of you all use, or have used, a beach seine for shrimping? I know it used to be more popular, but has seemed to be regaining it some. I have looked and can not find them for sale anymore. Cranman's sold them years ago, but not anymore. If you have used them, could you describe the ones you used. Mesh size, length of seine, height of netting, etc.?

As many of you know I tie cast nets and I am looking at branching out to seines as well since no one makes and sells mono seines anymore. I know how to tie them, but am interested in the things above to find out what people use.
Thanks for help.

--------------------
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http://curriecustomnets.com/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_love2fish_*
post May 22 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Guests

I remember using them as a kid, but we mainly we trying to catch mullet, although we always caught plenty of crabs too.

Can't tell you much more than two long post with net attached. smile.gif

+Quote Post
astewart
post May 23 2002, 06:52 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

Tim I have an old beat up one laying around someplace. They are avialable from mailorder. If I can remember tonight I'll get you some addresses for a catalog. One of the outfits is in Memphis Tenn.

I am considering purchasing a new beach seine later on this year.

+Quote Post
Robert 31320
post May 23 2002, 07:01 AM
Post #4

Let's go Fishing!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 34

Tim, I used one once several years ago with an uncle. The best I can remember it was 1/2" - 3/4" mesh, about 4' high and the length was 98'. We pulled it in the old slough at St. Cats and cleaned up on stingrays and caught a few shrimp to boot. I distinctly telling him at the end of the day if I had to pull one of those again to get to eat shrimp I would never eat them again, but that's just my opinion on seines. I have heard of folks using them around Jekyll and catching a lot of shrimp very quick.

Take a look at www.nylonnet.com they have info on seines. Hope this helps

--------------------
Sea Hunt Escape 186
115 YAMAHA 4-Stroke

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post May 23 2002, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses. Alan, I have the Memphis net catalog, along with pretty much every other net and mesh supplier that I have found (as you might guess). They only sell seines with the multi-filament nylon these days. The same with Nylon Net and others. I think the reason might be that FL does not allow mono seines anymore since the net ban. I would guess alot of the demand dried up with that and the guys making them don't in mono anymore. Might also explain why it is so hard to find them here as well. The mono is just so much easier and superior to the much thicker multi-filament that it is worth using it, even though it tears easier. I cannot imagine pulling a 100ft multi-filament net :cry:

Robert, I know what you mean. I much prefer cast netting to seining! Then again, there are times where the seine will catch em when the cast net won't. For instance during the brown shrimp season you can use a seine to catch them but I have never heard of anyone doing well with a cast net as they are to scattered. Also, seining is the best choice for those stuck without a boat to shrimp. They can drive to Tybee or to St. Simons and Jekyl and get in on the shrimping. In fact, I have heard some people did very well this past weekend down around Jekyl. They got lucky though since the season has not opened yet 8O

I will let you all know how it goes and if I will be offering them for sale, most likely I will. The net and mesh companies I know of are Memphis Net and Twine, Nylon Net, Brunson's, Lee Fischer and Netco. If anyone knows of others I would appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post May 23 2002, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I just rechecked my info. The reports I had about people using a seine last weekend did not include any info on how they did- they were just spotted using one. The report that said someone had done well was from last year at the beginning of July, the height of the brown shrimp run. That has me thinking I may give it a shot this year! I have tried to use a cast net along the beach during that run with no luck, but I used to do alright with a trawl during the brown shrimp run and have seen some big hauls from small boat trawlers. Still no word on when the season will open though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
T.Grantham
post May 23 2002, 03:56 PM
Post #7

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 100

Tim,
There was a man in brunswick that made seines,hoop net s, and bait nets.Don't even know if he still does or even if he still lives there.If he is still alive he might tell you what he makes the most .
I fill the same as Robert does about pulling a seine.If I want shrimp that bad I'll stay home and work,then I'll know I'll have enough shrimp to eat.Bad to pull that thing all day and still not have enough to eat,of course I know its always the next pull where you are going to really clean up.
TG

Beach Seines Eddie and Joann Waters
2606 Starling St.
Brunswick 912-264-2893

I looked in the Brunswick phone book and this number is now listed to Steve Waters.Probally his son.

+Quote Post
Guest_whopperstopper_*
post May 24 2002, 12:15 PM
Post #8

Guests

Man, I would love to seine for shrimp. Do you all seine in the bays? would the surf be productive for shrimp? I am sure I could catch bait mullet like that also. I am going to have to check the Texas regs and see what they have to say about seining... I think there might be an old seine hanging in my grandfathers old barn when he used to seine for minnows. Might be a cheap way to introduce myself to it cheaply if it is not too rotten.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 11:52 PM