> Ga Shrimping Season?
Seldomfish
post May 21 2003, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 359

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know when the shrimping season in GA start this year?? I took my wife and kids saneing (sp?) last year just before the water got too cold and they enjoyed it very much. Now that it's getting warmer again, they've been bugging me wanting to go shrimping.

Thanks,
PC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post May 22 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

The season will not open until the DNR opens it in state waters. It is open in federal waters. The earliest they can open the waters is mid-May, that is by law and they tie it in with when SC opens theirs. Due to that and the fact SC is saying the numbers of shrimp are way down, the season might not open until late this year. Really, the spring shrimping is all trawl shrimping for roe shrimp off the beach. The first real rec. shrimping comes about in early July when the brown shrimp are being caught. That is when the trawl boats will move as close to the beach as they can and you can seine shrimp. As far as I know, that season all of the rec. shrimping is done on the ocean front beaches and the ends of the barrier islands and with seines.

The fall shrimp season will begin in mid to late Sep. for the white shrimp. The early season is mostly in the creeks and upper rivers where seines are illegal to use (except very small sampling type of seines). The beach seining begins later in the fall when the shrimp begin to run for the ocean. Of course, all of this is based on generalities so things can and do change!

--------------------
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http://curriecustomnets.com/

+Quote Post
Guest_Lickskillet_*
post May 22 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Guests

Tim,
Thats good info for alot us, Thanks for sharing. I like to pull my scien also. Only done it during the fall. Sure love them scrimps.

+Quote Post
HHisland
post May 22 2003, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 72

Brownies are thick! Last weekend I went to a "secret" place at night to catch bait (mudminnows) with the cast net. All I caught were bait sized brown shrimp. I couldnt believe it, first cast 3 dozen, second cast 4 dozen, and last cast 2 dozen. I covered the area that you could reach from land with 3 casts. Anyway I didnt even bring an aerator because you dont need air for mudminnows. I counted them and put them in my bucket. On saturday I caught 4 keeper bass all over 20 inches, 1 oversized bass 27", 1 black drum, and a nice flounder. Tried for some whiting on the beach with the dead shrimp with no luck. Will try again this weekend with the leftover brown shrimp. Ive never caught that many brown shrimp in such few casts and especially never from land. Hopefully it is a good sign for the upcoming shrimp season. Good luck to all.

+Quote Post
Seldomfish
post May 22 2003, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 359

Tim, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all. I was seining on the south end of Jekyll last year and did okay. I might have to drive by there for a little scouting next time I go fishing in St. Simons. Don't think I can wait until July. Please post the date here if anyone hear when the season opens this year.

PC

+Quote Post
Tim/GA
post May 22 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Still no info on the season opening, at least on the CRD site.

As most here know, I live to shrimp! I have a couple of pounds thawing in the sink right now for a seafood salad. I am taking it to an end of the school year party tomorrow night (in fact the party is about 4 miles up river from where I caught those shrimp!)

Glad to hear the brown shrimp are looking good, gives us a shot at some good bait early this season and will help those bass and trout get growing. Still hearing that the SC white shrimp numbers are down (and these are the roe shrimp) though. That could mean a weak fall white shrimp season, only time will tell. The brown shrimp only make up a fraction of the total shrimp caught each year.

--------------------
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http://curriecustomnets.com/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 03:09 AM