2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tybee surf fishing
Cougar71
post Jul 9 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,828

Anyone have a suggestion for fishing the surf on Tybee? I work in Savannah often and have alot of time to fish, just dont know where. Too many people on the big pier and in the water around there. Just looking for a place to kick back and maybe get my line stretched every once in a while. Thanks for any suggestions!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 10 2012, 04:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,929

Try either the jetties by the lighthouse or the south end of the island at the river entrance.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 10 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #3

I saw the jetties on google earth. Do alot of people fish there? I will be catch and release so I dont care what I catch. Sharks, rays , heck, even catfish, they are all going back anyway. Do you know what most people catch there?

+Quote Post
benny
post Jul 10 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 4,095

Bull is talkin about the jetties near the Tybee Lighthouse not the Cockspur Lighthouse.
And be real careful at the south end wading the inlet. Good fishing but can get real dangerous real quick.

--------------------
"75 Wellcraft V20 Cuddy
"94 Ashcraft 16V
14' Aluminum
13' Waterbug (Gheenoe)
17' Mohawk
"78 Hydra Sport 1803

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 10 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #5

The problem with the south end is I dont see anywhere to park my big delivery truck. I know that parking is a premium on that island! There seems to be some parking on the north end, close to what you are calling the cockspur jetties I assume. I dont know where the other jetties are.

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 11 2012, 04:34 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

There are 3 sets of Jetties, #1 is by the bridge(Cockspur Lighthouse) going into tybee, then #2 is the jetties on the north side of the the river (South Carolina side) and then a small set of jetties on the beach by the Tybee island lighthouse. Lots of parking there. On the south end of Tybee by the river there are 2 parking areas.

They approved the new parking rate of $2 per hour but I am not sure if the meters have been changed yet. As of last week they were still $1.50 per hour.

I have been catching whiting, Trout, Rays, sharks and small flounder on both ends of the island but nothing in great numbers. I only fish in the evenings there, about 2-3 times a week so whatever tide is available that's what I fish. It is just a nice little trip after work to relax more so than filling any freezer laugh.gif I never fish it on the weekends, its too crowded for me so I usually take the boat out instead for inshore fishing.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 11 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #7

I will probably be fishing the small jetties by the Tybee lighthouse tomorow afternoon. Just look for the fat guy wearing the loud fishing shorts. I will post letting you know how I do. Thanks for the info btw. Sitting in a motel staring at 4 walls and an idot box has done got old!

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 11 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I may be out there late this afternoon depends on work. I will a have a green hat that covers my ears *LOL* Outgoing tide tonight so may not be too bad if the wind dies down some. Last few days been windy.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 13 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I went out to the north end jetties last night. I did not even get a nibble. I saw 2 small rays caught but that was all. I think the EAST wind has shut it down for now.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 13 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #10

I was out there for a couple hours ysterday evening. Didnt get a single bite. I didnt mind though, beats the motel room. I learned where NOT to get bait from. Tybee Island bait and Tackle. The shop itself was great but I had a run-in with the guy who owns the lot there. I was in my delivery truck and when I came out of the shop, he began yelling "You cant park that truck on my lot, get it out of here, NOW!"I said ok, where can I park if I come back to the shop? He said "Up on the Highway". Forget that! I will just find another bait and tackle shop. Rude people. He needs to take an anger management class before he pisses someone off that may be packing!

+Quote Post
RunninLate
post Jul 13 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,553

QUOTE (Cougar71 @ Jul 13 2012, 01:20 PM) *
I was out there for a couple hours ysterday evening. Didnt get a single bite. I didnt mind though, beats the motel room. I learned where NOT to get bait from. Tybee Island bait and Tackle. The shop itself was great but I had a run-in with the guy who owns the lot there. I was in my delivery truck and when I came out of the shop, he began yelling "You cant park that truck on my lot, get it out of here, NOW!"I said ok, where can I park if I come back to the shop? He said "Up on the Highway". Forget that! I will just find another bait and tackle shop. Rude people. He needs to take an anger management class before he pisses someone off that may be packing!

Just be careful about the south end. At low tide there is beach and as the tide come in, that beach turns into a disappearing island.

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 13 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Cougar,

I looked for a FAT guy like you said but never saw one. I saw a heavy set guy with a orange sleeveless shirt on fishing the river side of the jetties. I think he was in a van with Kentucky plates if I remember right LOL But I was looking for you.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 13 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #13

That was me! Orange shirt, black fishing shorts, Except for the Kentucky plates, im a Georgia boy! Was that you with the 3 rods in sandspikes by the jetties?

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 14 2012, 04:45 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

No, I had the 1 pole on the beach side. I was with my wife we had a lounge chair and white bucket (we travel lite), I had a green hat that covered my ears and green shorts on.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 14 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #15

Hate I missed you. I will be back in 2 weeks to try it again. Gotta find another bait shop first though. Dont like dealing with grumpy people, life is too short!

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 14 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #16

I want to try out a rod I built also!

+Quote Post
wahoomike
post Jul 14 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,301

That jerk at Lazaretto screamed at me last summer.....then my son-in-law, who is a beffy 6' 4" got out the passenger side and started walking toward Mr Big Mouth. Big Mouth did a 180 and literally ran away, but he was still yelling at us. One day somebody is going to teach him a good lesson.

+Quote Post
Cougar71
post Jul 14 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #18

Yeah somebody will, wont be me though. I aint going back. The lady in the baitshop was very nice and helpful and I hate she wont be getting my business anymore. Like I said, Life is too short to put up with grumpy people.

+Quote Post
Bull54
post Jul 14 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

There are other bait shops in town. There is one by the Thunderbolt bridge but I don't know anything about it. Its on the north side behind the boat dealership. It me up next time your coming this way.

+Quote Post
Chewbcca
post Jul 15 2012, 07:33 AM
Post #20

Chewbcca

Member No.: 373

That would be Adams Bait House. Nice folks, they have always treated me right. Good ramp right there now too.

--------------------
Capt Mike Weathers
USCG 100T Master

Pathfinder 22

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 06:51 PM