Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time For Stripers?
SwampGrizz
post Nov 10 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,274

I saw some pictures in the Savannah Morning News where a couple of guys caught some stripers on the Little Ogeechee and Ogeechee Rivers, and it got me to wondering if they have shown up on the Savannah River yet? I found out from one of my posts from last year that December and January are good months, so I was wondering if they were early this year. Some questions: How fast do you troll? Is trolling the most effective way to catch them? Can you get them around some of the rocks along the shoreline or are they deeper in the channel? What kind of lures? I'm a striper Newbie, and I have made it my mission to try and catch one this year. Any and all help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
SwampGrizz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ssiredfish
post Nov 10 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #2

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 2,558

I got real excited until I realized there was only one 'p' in your topic title......

--------------------
- The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.

86' Wellcraft 20 Fisherman "Guale Girl"
1979 Alumnacraft 14 - STILL got holes in it
2006 WS Tarpon160f - "Mudd Butt"

+Quote Post
SwampGrizz
post Nov 11 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #3

I think that the stripers will be a LOT cheaper than the strippers in the long run. At my age, I would probably have more fun with the stripers too.

SwampGrizz

+Quote Post
GoFigure
post Nov 16 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,163

Nov 14 fishing report from Capt Judy said "While fishing in the Savannah River areas this past week our customers got to enjoy a steady striped bass bite. While using live shrimp as bait under small adjustable floats the action was strong. "

+Quote Post
Fibes
post Nov 28 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,745

QUOTE (GoFigure @ Nov 16 2011, 08:42 AM) *
Nov 14 fishing report from Capt Judy said "While fishing in the Savannah River areas this past week our customers got to enjoy a steady striped bass bite. While using live shrimp as bait under small adjustable floats the action was strong. "

The schoolies are here, 20 fish flurries then dead and the big loner fish are moving through too.

Adjustable corks with big shrimp, menhaden or mullet underneath works best but drifting a bottom fish finder rig close to structure and letting it soak can work too.

Picking fish up on swim baits, diving plugs and flies is a good way to cover water...

--------------------
Capt. Kevin Rose
Telecaster Charters
Pioneer Cape Island 186 Telecaster

+Quote Post
Bryannecker
post Jan 9 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #6

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE (SwampGrizz @ Nov 10 2011, 03:26 PM) *
I saw some pictures in the Savannah Morning News where a couple of guys caught some stripers on the Little Ogeechee and Ogeechee Rivers, and it got me to wondering if they have shown up on the Savannah River yet? I found out from one of my posts from last year that December and January are good months, so I was wondering if they were early this year. Some questions: How fast do you troll? Is trolling the most effective way to catch them? Can you get them around some of the rocks along the shoreline or are they deeper in the channel? What kind of lures? I'm a striper Newbie, and I have made it my mission to try and catch one this year. Any and all help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
SwampGrizz

Savannah River trolling with large Rapala lures will net large lunkers or at least it has in the past. Back in 1974, I got a 40 and a 38 pounder on at the very same time. Landed both and had them mounted. Go for it.

Capt. Jimmy

--------------------
Semper Fi, to all old Marines out there like me!
They that go down to the sea in ships to see the works of the Lord, and His wonders of the deep.
Psalm 107:23-24 KJV
SEE
http://www.youtube.com/user/Saltwaternecker#p/f

+Quote Post
SwampGrizz
post Jan 12 2013, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Capt. Jimmy,
Thanks for your reply. Were you trolling near structure, or down deep/on top, or near the shoreline? I don't want your secret honeyhole, just a few general tips on what to look for. Thanks again for sharing with us newbies.

SwampGrizz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:13 PM