Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge
2Wishin
post Aug 9 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Forum Advisor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 521

My sister-in-law sent this to me and I'm passing it along. I've seen a few of the news stories about this and I tend to agree with the writer. You can't undo every injustice, perceived or real and giving this land to the descendants of those that were living there so they can develop it doesn't seem to be a wise choice.

Former landowners? The land was bought by the Federal government in 1942. So if you were a young land owner, say 20 years old, in 1942 that would make you close to 90 years old today.

=========================================

Subject: Please help protect Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge

At a time when we see daily photos of dead and oil-contaminated wildlife in the Gulf coast states, I take some comfort in knowing that many of the species that will struggle to survive in Louisiana, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and perhaps Texas can still find safe haven at Harris Neck National Wildlide Refuge, located halfway between Savannah and Darien, Georgia.

But Harris Neck is under a different sort of threat -- former landowners who sold their properties to the federal government for use as an air base during World War II now want to move back onto the refuge. You can read more about their demands via the following link: http://www.refugewatch.org/2010/07/15/new-...neck-nwr-story/

Aside from the fact that their claims to the land have already been adjudicated (twice) in court and found to be without merit, the proposed 70+ residences, hotel, and convention center are completely incompatible with the purpose and operation of a wildlife refuge.

Nonetheless, the proponents of the Harris Neck land grab have been creating a lot of media attention and exerting political pressure on our elected officials. I stopped by Congressman Jack Kingston's office yesterday to register my opposition to the proposal and one of his aides made it clear to me that he needs to hear from a lot more people like me to "counteract" the pressure he is getting from the proponents.

So please call, e-mail, write or visit your elected officials and your newspaper and radio editors about this issue. Let them know that wildlife refuges aren't expendable "vacant land" and that Harris Neck must remain intact and protected. The article in the above link will give you their names and contact information.

Dot Bambach

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stan
post Aug 9 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Forum Advisor

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

GREED IS NOW THE AMERICAN WAY IT SEEMS...IT WILL BE THE DOWN FALL OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY. sad.gif

--------------------
Times are changing and it's making me stock up on all the ammo I can..

NO CORN and PUBLIC LAND Thats how we roll!!!

+Quote Post
Gene
post Aug 10 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 158

Some Mexicans also think that the SW USA is their land too. Even though Mexico sold it way back when, to the USA.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2010-...property-owners

The Georgia Appleseed Center for Law and Justice will host a free information seminar for heir property owners at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Ida Hilton Public Library, 1105 U.S. 17 N., Darien.

Experts will deliver presentations on titles, deeds, taxes, the importance of wills and steps to protect land. The seminar is for information only and will not provide specific legal advice.

The city of Darien and McIntosh SEED are co-sponsoring the event.

For more information, e-mail info@appleseed.org or call (404) 685-6750.

The handbook, Heir Property in Georgia, is available online at www.GaAppleseed.org/heir.

///////////////////

not sure if the above seminar is about Harris Neck or not, strange timing if it is not.

+Quote Post
coastman
post Aug 10 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #4

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 44

Do you think my family can get its land back from Fort Stewart? Our family owned farms and businesses in the Willie community now just a roadsign. In McIntosh County there is always a question of a clear deed. The same on Sapleo Island as at Harris Neck. The Feds have Harris Neck and the State is waiting to take over property if heir of property cannot produce a clear title and deed which they can't.

--------------------
coastman

+Quote Post
Knot-On-Call
post Aug 12 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #5

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 37

Think of the people who will be waiting in line to get their Assets back from Obama.......

K-O-C

--------------------
Knot-On-Call

+Quote Post
perryrip
post Aug 19 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,033

Folks,

2 Wishin is right on target with the link provided. You can find a lot of additional information on the Harris Neck land transaction thru that link, to include the GAO report sponsored by Sen. Sam Nunn. It clearly addresses the issues and finds them without merit. The difference in sale prices per acre between white and black landowners is explained, and contrary to the Harris Neck Land Trust "claims" the black/African American community did not receive less per acre than the white landowners. The Harris Neck Land Trust has "spun" their story to solely support the "means to their end". The whole issue reeks of entitlement and reparation. I was actually sympathetic to some of the stated demands of the Harris Neck Land Trust until I read the "facts". If you read the "facts" the truth becomes self evident.

perryrip

+Quote Post
coastman
post Aug 20 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 44

Perry, you hit the nail on the head. I am over here at Shellman and we get the same "story" that the white man stole all of the land at Shellman. The white man pays his taxes. Look at the tax sales in The Darien News and see the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say.

--------------------
coastman

+Quote Post
perryrip
post Aug 25 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,033

Coastman,

I only hope that the NWS doesn't fold to this land grab. This is one time I'll side with the tree huggers and bird lovers. You'll notice that none of the National level "ECO" organizations are weighing in on this at this time? Makes me wonder what the "strategy" is that they're adhering to in this situation?

perryrip

+Quote Post
2Wishin
post Aug 25 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Forum Advisor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 521

QUOTE (perryrip @ Aug 25 2010, 01:43 PM) *
You'll notice that none of the National level "ECO" organizations are weighing in on this at this time? Makes me wonder what the "strategy" is that they're adhering to in this situation?

Liberalism is thicker than blood!

When a conservative woman is being attacked - Where's NOW?
When a conservative minority is being attacked - Where's the NAACP?
When a conservation area is being given away for development - Where's the NRDC?

+Quote Post
Bryannecker
post Sep 11 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #10

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE (coastman @ Aug 10 2010, 11:48 AM) *
Do you think my family can get its land back from Fort Stewart? Our family owned farms and businesses in the Willie community now just a roadsign. In McIntosh County there is always a question of a clear deed. The same on Sapleo Island as at Harris Neck. The Feds have Harris Neck and the State is waiting to take over property if heir of property cannot produce a clear title and deed which they can't.

Many of my ancestors are buried at Clyde, too. Great Uncle Shep Newman has/had a farm there on Ft. Stewart land.
If this thing with Harris Neck flies, I want it back for my family. Those ole Yankee Carpet Baggers stole it from us! tongue.gif

Please, the native Americans could claim all of north America, if that whacko theory is allowed. Mexico will claim Texas among other states in the southwest. Oh, there is another whacko movement out there, too!

Those very same, native Americans had a land theory which, in essence, stated that "no person or group of people really own the land they merely have a easement for use of it during their lives!" A life estate, so to speak, for use of the land is what we all have. Get over it descendents! Get a job, start a business, and earn the money to buy that life estate. Earn it like the rest of us have!!!!

No one really even owns their home, since the county, state and other governmental entities can appropiate it for non-payment of your taxes-i.e. Do not pay your property taxes and see what happens.

Seriously, why are we taking these folks seriously?????? mad.gif

Stan is right, GREED WILL BE OUR DOWN FALL. IT IS ALREADY HAPPENING!

Capt. Jimmy

--------------------
Semper Fi, to all old Marines out there like me!
They that go down to the sea in ships to see the works of the Lord, and His wonders of the deep.
Psalm 107:23-24 KJV
SEE
http://www.youtube.com/user/Saltwaternecker#p/f

+Quote Post
Gene
post Sep 15 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 158

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/09...o-reclaim-land/

Foxnews.com today

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 04:33 PM