IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting Loran Numbers To Gps
Guest_Guest_JimBfishN_*
post Feb 14 2003, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Guests

Anyone had any luck with programs that convert Loran numbers to GPS that put you EXACTLY on the spot? I know there are programs out there, but how well do they get the job done. After running 40 miles I'd sure like to see the converted Loran number on the GPS and the ledge appear on my bottom machine. Can it be done to this accuracy?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Lickskillet_*
post Feb 14 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Guests

I have the Garmin 162 and you can put TD's in it and run it as if it were a loran. The few times i've tried this it seems pretty accurate. Send me some good #'s for the BSB and I'll try them out & send you the GPS #'s. Sounds good to me anyway. I don't have any experience with the programs that convert the #'s but they are programs available on the web.

+Quote Post
GunDog
post Feb 14 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #3

Forum Advisor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 163

Jim - You can do a quick search and find some other info on this subject. Here's a link that may be helpful I pulled up for ya. Loran Stuff smile.gif GDog

--------------------
The gun has been called the great equalizer. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed ~ Ronald Reagan

+Quote Post
Guest_Brad_*
post Feb 14 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #4

Guests

POSAID is used by the Coast Guard and with the right formula it is very accurate. Send me an email and I'll send you the name of a guy to contact. He uses POSAID to convert numbers and gets them REALLY close. The link to download the program is in the post above called "Loran Stuff."

Brad

+Quote Post
Mary G
post Feb 14 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #5

The Mary G

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Don't forget that any conversion will be no more accurate than LORAN was to begin with. And LORAN was also only as accurate as the unit taking the measurement, and only on the day it was taken. Those with LORAN experience can probably attest to waypoints shifting about some from trip to trip. Conversions can get close, but "exact" probably depends on ones definition.

--------------------

Take an old man fishin today!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 06:20 PM