Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sea Cast, transom repair
Gene
post Dec 10 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 158

I have a 1989 Welcraft V 20. I threw a rod and when I took off the motor I noticed how bad the transom was. ( for those with Welcrafts that metal flashing around the cut-out is a terrible design, it does not keep the water out) I chose to do it myself and use the Sea Cast method. I could not be happier. It did take some courage to make my first cut with the circular saw to remove the gel coat. lol It took me 15 gals of the polyurethane, I had a gal or so left over. At $240 +/- a 5 gal bucket, plus the fiberglass tape, I think the total price will be about $850.00.

http://transomrepair.com/zk/index.shtml

The directions at the above web site tells you all you need to know, they will help you by phone/email too, real nice people. It was a fun project, now I won't be afraid to buy a boat with a bad transom, at a good price, because now I know how to fix it. 90% of the work is getting the rotten wood outta the transom, actually the rotten wood will almost fall right out, the kind of good wood is what is hard to remove. If your arms don't get too tired you can do it all in one weekend.

If anyone wants some help it doing theirs, just ask.

Gene

This post has been edited by Gene: Dec 10 2008, 11:00 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sega45
post Dec 10 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,520

Used Sea-Cast on a Robalo 2320 that I had. The stuff is great!!! Did you have any that was left in the bucket get hard after you finished your transom job? I did and after it had dried a few days I got it out of the 5 gal. bucket and showed it to people that came by to purchase the boat. I would that a sledge hammer and hit the chunk of Sea-Cast just to show them how strong this stuff is. You can hit it and it does not even leave a dent or crack in the chunk. Water does not penetrate it either. This stuff WORKS!!

--------------------
2 Corinthians 4:4
New Living Translation (NLT)

4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who donít believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They donít understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 08:49 AM