Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Georgia Artifical Reefs
Mark Williamson
post Dec 22 2002, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Forum Advisor

Group: Members
Member No.: 286

Read Sunday's page 8B, 12/22/2002, In the Savannah Morning News about the New York Subway cars being dumped in our waters. Good for our reefs.

--------------------
user posted image

Capt. Mark
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark Williamson
post Dec 22 2002, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Forum Advisor

OK, Spooks lets find the numbers. Someone has them.

50 cars, each weighting 9 to 15 tons and measure 51 feet to 11 foot wide and 9 in height. All were dropped at the CCA and the L buoys.

They were going 50 miles east to WW reef in a 130 foot of water. I guess to keep it from the little guys. We won. Thanks Weather!!!!!!

--------------------
user posted image

Capt. Mark

+Quote Post
Ron G.
post Dec 22 2002, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 179

I have already sent an e-mail to Henry Ansley at the CRD for the car locations.

--------------------
Ron G.
Midway, Ga.

+Quote Post
Guest_arlie webster_*
post Dec 22 2002, 11:00 AM
Post #4

Guests

If they would put some at the 2.5 reef maybe I would venture out that far when I start back hook & line fishing . Anyway I think ill have my wife send NYC a thank you card. BETTER yet Coastal Outdoors could print something fancy and add all the member names . Arlie

+Quote Post
Rob Herrington
post Dec 22 2002, 05:59 PM
Post #5

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 333

first chance yah get post some #'s, I can't wait!

--------------------
Hot Spot
Rob's Rod & Reel Repair & Cleaning

+Quote Post
Guest_Lickskillet_*
post Dec 22 2002, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Guests

When exactly did they dump them? I've read about these cars in Saltwater Sportsman & some states didn't want them dumped in their waters. Their loss & our gain I guess. Those sheepshead like that type of high structure but it'll be at least a year before it starts producing don't you think? With all these sheepshead spawning places we're getting we'll have to be carefull not to overfish them and hurt ourselfs. Me included, we just can't afford to take 50-60 at the time when they gather up in the coming months. Those bigguns are hard to cook/clean anyway. I'm glad we got some new reefs but I would like to see some in the deeper water also as we don't have any artificials in the 100' range.

+Quote Post
Rob Herrington
post Dec 22 2002, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 333

that's 5000 to 6000 fiddler crabs ain't it???????????????????/ blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

--------------------
Hot Spot
Rob's Rod & Reel Repair & Cleaning

+Quote Post
GunDog
post Dec 22 2002, 09:55 PM
Post #8

Forum Advisor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 163

Mark - How did they sneak a load like that by ya? I thought you could almost see those buoys from ya dock wink.gif

Hey Ron - Glad to see ya back on the boards. Where ya been man? GDog

--------------------
The gun has been called the great equalizer. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed ~ Ronald Reagan

+Quote Post
astewart
post Dec 22 2002, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I think it is great that we were able to get this reef material. 50 cars is a lot, but the further out they are put the fewer folks that will be able to take advantage of them. Could they have not spread them out a little more? I think the DNR Coastal resources is doing a lot of good things, the reef program is one of them. Do the people that fish have any input as to where the reef material is to go?

I seldom get to venture that far out, I am sure many others are in the same boat. I do fish the CAT and BL Reefs and really appreciate the time, effort and money the state has applied to putting those facilities out there.

My next e-mail is going to the DNR asking them what the plans are to increase the reefs that are more accessible to the smaller boats and folks that do not want to venture out so far. Not complaining - just want to find out what's in store.

+Quote Post
astewart
post Dec 22 2002, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I posted this to the Coastal DNR Website. I'll let everyone know what sort of answer I get back. Perhaps anyone else interested in keeping the reef program going should do the same.

"To - Director Offshore Reefs Program

I was very pleased to read in the Savannah paper today that 50 buses were added to the reefs offshore. I think the reef program is very beneficial both to the marine habitat and to the local economy. I have been able to fish the CAT, BL and KTK Reefs and have had a great deal of pleasure and success. This has certainly helped me to enjoy my frequent visits to the coast. This has also allowed me to input into the local economy of Liberty and Macintosh Counties.

The L reef is pretty far out, most of the folks I fish with and hear from on the various WEBSITES do not venture this far out. Are there any plans to add to the closer inshore reefs? The additions to the BL reef last year were great, I have enjoyed many dyas out there. It would be a really great reef if some more structure could be placed out there, the CAT reef is the same way. Is there anything we as fisherman and users of the "system" can do to request or suggest where we want the reefs built up?

The directory on the Coastal Web Page does not include e-mail addresses, It would be helpful if it did.

I and many other folks in Screven County (Sylvania, Georiga) fish the coastal areas, we are interested in maintaining this resource. I belong to the CCA, and the Coastal Outdoors Website. Thanks for any help you can provide."

A.L.Stewart

+Quote Post
Tireless
post Dec 22 2002, 10:25 PM
Post #11

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 91

Thanks Mark for the great news. The L and CCA are extremely easy to get to from Wassaw (my home sound). I had read about these cars in the trade mags and wished we could get a bunch of them...I guess we did! biggrin.gif

I will bet these cars are holding kings early in the spring, maybe some grouper and reds by fall! Man that would be sweet! cool.gif

--------------------
Safe seas and tight lines!

David

We got one.......which rod?

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_kingbuster_*
post Dec 23 2002, 12:14 AM
Post #12

Guests

i've been told that this spring parts of the old sidney lanier
bridge that was in brunswick are to be used for some reef
material. also about these near shore reefs our very own
joel gets a lot of the credit for them.a few years back when he
was the eo with the cca he was working things out with the
comm. shrimpers about the areas to have the reefs so the
reefs wouldn't interfere with their dragging. the cca of ga. played
a big part working the details out with the shrimpers.
the comm. shrimpers had a lot of good input about where
they should be put. they were a big help in a positive way.

+Quote Post
Stan
post Dec 23 2002, 05:30 AM
Post #13

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 10

Well this is some good news!!! I looked up that artical on the web and from reading that it looks as if the train cars were supposed to go out 50 miles and then be dumped!! The reason they wound up at CCA and L reefs was only because of the weather!!!!! So for us guys in the smaller boats this is good!! I understand the need for the reefs out further, but what is the decision process on that? The further out ya go there is less folks fishing them. But that isn't a reason for not putting them there. There will be different types of fish on those and it'll be a big improvement for the habitat that those fish need. As we all know that GA waters are lacking a lot of it!! AStewart is right about the Cat reef and also DUA reef. they need some Big structure out there. I know that would improve the fishing there a lot!! The bait don't seem to hold there just pass' thru. If it could hold bait fishing would be much better!!

I still say hats off to the DNR for a great job of getting those trains!!!
MY 2 cents Stan

--------------------
Times are changing and it's making me stock up on all the ammo I can..

NO CORN and PUBLIC LAND Thats how we roll!!!

+Quote Post
Mark Williamson
post Dec 23 2002, 06:20 AM
Post #14

Forum Advisor

They not be able to place something that rises 9 foot off the bottom at the inshore reefs. I don't know just a thought. I'd like to have a couple at the Cat buoy too.

--------------------
user posted image

Capt. Mark

+Quote Post
Stan
post Dec 23 2002, 06:37 AM
Post #15

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 10

Yea Mark but they got that Tug at KTK, not really no difference there, But that could be it!!

--------------------
Times are changing and it's making me stock up on all the ammo I can..

NO CORN and PUBLIC LAND Thats how we roll!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 11:19 AM