Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cast net for shrimp
matt2ga
post Aug 11 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623

I want to buy a cast net for shrimp. I've never used one before. What is the best size to get for a beginner? I don't want to spend alot on one until I can figure out how to use it. Any recommendations as to brands or a place to buy one?

I've seen some posts recently that say the shrimp are in the creeks. Are y'all going way back up into small creeks or fishing just inside larger creeks? Where is the best place to try and find these critters? I'll be in the Sunbury area. Thanks for any advice.

Matt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chewbcca
post Aug 11 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Chewbcca

Member No.: 373

Matt,

For bait shrimp, you can use any mesh size, for food shrimp, you have to use (I believe) 3/8" mesh and the net can be no larger than 8'. I would start with at least a 6' net, anything less does not have enough spead to make it worthwhile to cast, at least I think so. I use an 8'.

Shrimp farther back in the creeks right now are going to be small, I go into the larger rivers along the inside curve, when the tide is out of the grass (anything else and you are wasting your time, they will be in the grass. I find last half of the outgoing to first half of the incoming the right mix.

I do not buy expensive nets, Betts Blue or some other work fine, and if you tear them up on oysters, as you will, it doesn't hurt as much in the wallet. Boat US, Bass Pro shop, Boaters World all have them.

Someone on the boards posted a link to a cast net video, changed the way I throw one for the better. Anyone still know or have that link?

Hope that helps

Mike

This post has been edited by Chewbcca: Aug 11 2006, 08:18 AM

--------------------
Capt Mike Weathers
USCG 100T Master

Pathfinder 22

+Quote Post
Sea Note
post Aug 11 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 110

I would make sure it has a 1/2" mesh as that is the minimum for food shrimp from my understanding. You cannot even have a smaller mesh in the boat if you are catching shrimp to eat. (See Ga regs on recreational shrimping). If you are new at throwing a net you might want a 6' net, as larger nets can be cumbersome for a beginner. There is a good video on throwing a net at www.calusa.com.

From the DNR site: Castnets used recreationally to take food shrimp are restricted to a maximum net size of eight feet in radius with a minimum 1/2 inch bar-mesh webbing and shall be constructed of uniform material from horn (thimble) to the lead line. All modifications, including duct tape, lawnchair webbing, and bubble wrap are prohibited. The lead line must have a minimum of 3/4 pound of weight per radius-foot attached.

This post has been edited by Sea Note: Aug 11 2006, 12:10 PM

--------------------
"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps."
190 CC Sea Pro

+Quote Post
TinMan
post Aug 11 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,418

i am all for the small nets as well for bait... throwing one of those big ones is a job... plus, with a small one you can aim somewhat...
-ben

+Quote Post
T4WHALER
post Aug 11 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,072

If want a good net for the money go to K-mart and purchase a Huricane net. Another good net for the money also is a Blue Dolphin. I have thrown alot of nets and they seem to work best for me. A good net size to begin with a 5ft. Back when I started and learned from my father I was throwing a 4ft cotton net but that was 20 years ago. One net that I would stay away from is a Betts. There heavy and the tucks will hang up causing the "Half a Cast" or the "Taco". Words from my Grandfather.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robert 31320
post Aug 11 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Let's go Fishing!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 34

I have a 7' from wal mart. I have on several occasions last and this year caught enough shrimp for bait in 1 to 2 casts. I personally won't buy an expensive net because if there's an oyster or snag to be found I'll get it. If you have never casted very much I'd suggest you start with a 5' or 6' and move up in size later.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Sea Hunt Escape 186
115 YAMAHA 4-Stroke

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

+Quote Post
matt2ga
post Aug 11 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,623

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with a 5 or 6 foot net to get started. Thanks for the specific advice to stay away from Betts nets. I was actually thinking about buying one at Bass Pro. I'll take a look at K-Mart.

Matt

+Quote Post
Guest_CreekCruiser_*
post Aug 11 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Guests

I agree & suggest starting w/the 5 or 6 until ya can get the hang of it. Them shrimp are getting bigger each day and every time I cast for bait. Best results = 1st hour IN-Tide / Last hr of OUT-Tide - ** Try to get up close to the grass ~ But watch them bloody oysters mate! Them buggers will rip ya net to shreds!! Good Luck "Fish On!"

+Quote Post
TGattis
post Aug 11 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 371

As everyone else has said go with a 5 or 6 footer for your first net. Depending on how tall you are will also make a little difference 5'8 or up go with 6'. If you would like some help learning firsthand PM me and I will see if I can squeeze in a few minutes "coaching" if you are close. Also Wal Mart has some decent nets "Fitec Brand" They are made using the panel construction method.

--------------------
The more they DISAPPROVE the more FUN it is for me! IPB Image

+Quote Post
Polishfly
post Aug 11 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #10

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 1,134

I'd go 6' and 1/2" mesh to start. Betts blue is a pretty good starter net. the cheaper the net the asier it rips, tangles and its harder to throw.

--------------------
Tight Lines,
Captain Eric
www.georgiasaltwatercharters.com

+Quote Post
ALLAROUNDFISHIN
post Aug 12 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,740

Heres a link on throwing a cast net to help you out. A 5 -6 foot net is really easy. I just upgraded to one alot bigger and this is how i learned to throw it.

http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired

--------------------
Nick Shreves
Team Key Largo
Hobie Maui
Southern Salt Command

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 10:35 PM