Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flounder Gigs
Joe B.
post Apr 17 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 181

Looking for a reasonably priced and decent quality flounder gig. Anybody found one they like?

Thanks in advance.

Tight lines and God Bless,

Joe B.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
threeG
post Apr 19 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,758

I have tried a single prong, three prong and four prong. They even make a four prong as big as a small pitch fork. The best seems to be the three prong and four prong for me. The important thing is to watch the barbs and replace the gig if the barb gets worn.

+Quote Post
jwhodge1
post Apr 20 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #3

Forum Advisor

Member No.: 1,600

Joe, I looked all over for materials to build my own last summer. The gig is easy to find, the pole was the hardest. I was going to go with a wood pole, but could not find anything heavy enough to gig and pole along with. Maybe I didn't look in all the right places, but Home Depot and Lowes did not have what I wanted. I ended up buying the whole shibang from Boaters' World. The pole is 8' (I think, maybe 9') and is stainless or aluminum, can't remember. All I remember is that they were not cheap, but should last for quite a while.

--------------------
East Cape Canoe's Lostmen

Yamaha 60 4 Smoker

How shallow can you go?

+Quote Post
threeG
post Apr 20 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #4

I get my poles from home depot. I buy a wooden closet rod. Its cheap, long, sturdy and lasts several years.

My $.02

+Quote Post
Joe B.
post Apr 20 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thanks for the input so far! Question, if I buy closet rod, what type of gig head do I need to get to mate to it? and also where would they be available? I am looking at the clamp on worklights with 100w 12v bulbs, would that be adequate or is it justifiable to but the $50 sea striker flounder lights? Would like to get my feet wet in this new adventure soon, maybe next weekend if possible-weather and tides depending. Again thanks for the help and if I see some sort of success rate unsure.gif unsure.gif ya'll would be welcome to go with sometime.

Tight lines and God Bless,

Joe B.

+Quote Post
threeG
post Apr 20 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Walmart or any tackle shop should have a gig head that can be attached to a wooden closet rod or similar pole. My rig is set up on a 14' aluminum jon boat. Lights are clamp on 100w 12v. I used two lights and two batteries. Two people both standing can use the gigs to pole along a bank with ease. Person in front keeps the bow in line with the bank and the stern person keeps the boat moving. Depth of water depends on clarity but have giged some in less thatn 6" of water.

I like a dark night with low tide about 2 hours after dark. Outdgoing tide seems to make the water edge muddy. Also windward banks tend to be muddy. Anyway, fish the incoming along banks with a mix of mud and shell. Like I said earlier. the new gigs tend to work better as the barb is not worn. When the flounder are there its crazy... Our best time is from may through early fall.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
jwhodge1
post Apr 21 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #7

Forum Advisor

3G got it right.

The poles I found at HD were too light/flimsy, which is why I opted for the expensive ones.

As for the lights, check into these before you buy the clamp ons.....

lights

I have a 75w on the bow drawn off one battery. Works great and less refraction. Less obstruction on the deck.

--------------------

Yamaha 60 4 Smoker

How shallow can you go?

+Quote Post
Joe B.
post Apr 21 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

JW, that light looks like the ticket. Did you try to make the pole assembly they describe on the website? Looks pretty simple but I was wondering how in the world you would mount it to the boat to deploy it vertically.

Joe

+Quote Post
jwhodge1
post Apr 26 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #9

Forum Advisor

Joe, I use some heavy string and tie it off the bow cleat at just the right height so that it is submerged. Well, shall we say I "use" to do it that way. I sold the boat 04/22.
Instead of ordering them online, I called the store, just to be on the safe side. The guy was super nice; they're worth the call.
Happy giggin'
-J

--------------------

Yamaha 60 4 Smoker

How shallow can you go?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 08:11 PM